Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Benefits, or Lack Thereof, of Plumbing the Depths

Last night, Larry Huffman loved the Roger Miller song "Dang Me" on last.fm..

This reminded me that I had written about Roger Miller on June 25, 2008.

I had also written about Roger MIller on March 7, 2005.

This got me to thinking - how much junk - I mean, valuable material - have I actually written?

Well, I don't have statistics for everything, but here's a partial list of my output since October 2003:

This does not count an unknown number of posts on MySpace, my Yahoo blog, my Frappr blog, an internal corporate blog behind a firewall, and probably some other blogs I've forgotten about. Oh yeah, and there was all of my Usenet activity in the 20th century, both under the "Ontario Emperor" name and under other names. Some of that activity dates back to the early 1980s.

Add all that up, and it's...a lot. So much that when I run across an old post of mine, I'm surprised at what I've written. How about the confidentiality of giraffe medical records? Or a Serbian underground remix of a Buggles song? Or a long-forgotten appearance by David Allen, Rudy Favila, and me in the same Daily Bulletin article?

With such a body of junk - I mean, valuable material out there, perhaps I should make a concerted effort to revisit some of these old topics and see what's happened in the years since I originally wrote about them. Now I've certainly made unconcerted efforts to do this at various times, but I haven't made a rigorous effort to do so.

Or, then again, I could forget about plumbing the depths of my own material. I could just plumb Dave Winer's depths. He was posting links back on April 1, 1997. At least one of the links still works.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus