Monday, November 12, 2007

My profound 5am observation

This really isn't an Oracle OpenWorld 2007 post, so I won't label it as such.

Well, perhaps it's an Oracle OpenWorld 2010 post. (Might as well get started early.)

The NEXT generation of the Oracle Database product will probably be called Oracle Database 12m, where the "m" stands for "mobile."

Mobile is/will be that big. It's already big in my vertical market, it's obviously big in all this Tweeter/Flickr/etc. stuff I talked about earlier, so I suspect it may eventually affect the plumbing.

And maybe it's good that this won't happen for a few years because, to put it bluntly, mobile applications suck (or blow, depending upon your favorite "Spaceballs" vacuum setting). Even after just one day at Oracle OpenWorld, I find myself locked in a routine:

1. Do something on a mobile device.

2. Go to a regular computer (either my laptop, or a "connect" spot) to finish up or fix what I just did.

For example, I'm writing this on my phone and will e-mail it to Blogger to post it, but I won't be able to apply labels until later, as I previously noted. But I can't link to the post where I previously noted it, because I can't copy a URL on this device and the URL is too danged long to type (provided I even remember the entire URL).

And that's just mobile Blogger. I won't even get into the problems with mobile MySpace. I'll save that for another post.

One that I'll write on a full computer.

[PART OF A SERIES ON MOBILE BLOGGER, FLICKR, GOOGLE READER, LAST.FM, MYSPACE, TECHNORATI, TRUEMORS, TWITTER, YOUTUBE]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: