Saturday, May 17, 2008

There are other disco kids out there

Yes, I'm a disco boy, but the Subterranean Blog has the leg twitch also:

If we had to offer you something as the obvious next step in video after Robert Palmer’s “Addicted To Love” girls and pretty much every ZZ Top video from the 80s, but dusted with a bit of hipster aesthetic we would present Chromeo’s “Fancy Footwork” video....

[W]e keep finding that we’re very meh about Chromeo songs until you put some visuals to them and then we’re hooked.


Of course, I came to this song in the opposite direction, hearing the song on last.fm for the first time before I found the video or Chromeo's MySpace site.

4080 Records discusses the political significance of the duo:

Comprised of Canadian multi-instrumentalists Dave 1 (a Jewish PhD candidate and older brother of DJ A-Trak) and P-Thugg (a fully qualified accountant of Lebanese descent), Chromeo - the self-styled ”only successful Jew/Arab partnership in history” - make dirty, funky, synth-heavy electro music.

But I have confirmed my usual non-trendiness. I started writing about Chromeo on May 16. Perez Hilton weighed in back in January:

If you like Justice or Daft Punk, then these boys will make you cream!

Uh...OK.

Their music may sound like it's from France, but they actually hail from Montreal and New York. Their sound is a sweet amalgam of influences and eras. And, unlike a lot of electro artists, they're not afraid of using live instruments.

(Tangential thought: I just realized that this is the second post in a row that mentions Canadian music artists - I was talking about Celine Dion earlier. What's next, my Neil Young imitation? And when do I return to my usual Swedish mania?)

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus