Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Sri Lankan American Israeli Indian Life (round round get around Shiri gets around)

I am a homebody, and although I like to travel, I don't like to change my permanent address. For this reason there are things about Shiri Leventhal that fascinate me. Shiri was one of the runners in the Blue Planet Run, and is now adjusting to life after running around the world. (You try it sometime.)

Here are some excerpts from her latest blog post:

It’s hard to believe that I’ve been in Israel almost a month already. Time really does fly when you are having fun. To the disbelief of my family, friends, and myself, I have actually been trying hard, for once, to stay put and relax.

Yeah, right.

I have also been internet-ing, and job searching/applying like crazy. I’ve had some good luck and a lot of bad luck, and overall am in pretty good spirits, still hopeful, patient, and very happy. The good luck, which is probably the most important news, was an offer I recently got to go work/volunteer in India for a couple months with the MicroInsurance Academy, a non-profit research and training institute in Delhi. With their big microinsurance conference in November, they wanted me on a plane heading out there, like…yesterday. It was a rough couple of days, weighing my options and trying to make a quick decision on what to do, whether to stay in Israel longer, jump plane to India, or go back to NYC as I had originally planned. For someone who hates making decisions on trivial things, like what to eat for dinner, this was my hell.

Perhaps I should have been more carefree when I was younger. I've never had to face the question "What continent do I want to live on for the next few months?"

Anyway, if you want to hire Shiri, contact her. She's certainly a good spokesperson.

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: