Tuesday, May 27, 2008

So, what did my quixotic CFOT exercise prove?

If you've been following this blog over the last couple of days, then you saw my TechCrunch! post, a parody of Michael Arrington's Twitter! post.

Then you saw my moaning and groaning about how many of us, including myself, had reduced our online conversations to Clinton, FriendFeed, Obama, and Twitter (which I subsequently referred to as CFOT).

So if I am part of the problem, how do I solve it?

By taking one day - Monday, May 26, 2008 - and attempting to write about things that have absolutely nothing to do with FriendFeed, Twitter, or Barack Obama (or Hillary Clinton).


Then I said this:

I may schedule some posts to load up on non-routine content, but we'll see how it goes.

Yeah, I may schedule. By the time I went to bed late Sunday night (actually, early Monday morning), I had loaded up a slew of scheduled posts, which began appearing every 90 minutes, starting at 12:30 am on Monday morning and lasting through 11:00 pm that evening. And I even wrote a couple of posts live.

So, what did we learn from the exercise?

  • The Osmonds are still popular in Asia.

  • It is possible to write about things other than Clinton, FriendFeed, Obama, and Twitter.

  • However, people might not necessarily read about things other than Clinton, FriendFeed, Obama, and Twitter. I just looked at my Google Analytics stats for May 26, and the seven most popular items on my blog yesterday were NOT written on May 26. (For the record, item 8 in Google Analytics was my baby poop/"wings" post.

  • I learned something that journalists have known for a long time - the difference between breaking news and non-breaking news. Certain things are more suited for scheduled posts, especially considering how far in advance the posts are being scheduled. I don't pre-schedule a lot of posts here (although I do elsewhere), so should I pull such a stunt in the future, I'll need to think through post selection beforehand.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus