Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Power of Mobile Blogging

(Note: this post was originally drafted on Monday, April 28, 2008, but I didn't post it at that time because I didn't want to interfere with Read and Comment Day. As a result, some of the statistics may already be outdated by the time you read this.)

When I was checking my Google Analytics statistics on Monday, I noticed something which gave me pause and caused me to examine the statistics for the entire life of this blog. When I did, I made a point of examining the most popular links in this blog.

The fourth most popular link (after the blog itself, a post on a certain professor emeritus, and a post on a certain radio talk show host emeritus) was this post.

Yes, even though that post was written only a few days ago, it has become the third most popular post in this blog.

Was it because of the amount of time that I spent composing the post? Not hardly. As you can probably tell by looking at the post, it was something that I dashed off on my mobile phone in the space of a few minutes. I found a link, wrote a few words around the link, and emailed it to my blog.

So why is the post so popular? Because it happened to deal with some timely subject matter that was of interest to a great number of people, but about which a great number of people had not yet chosen to write.

Of course, there are other ways to get a lot of blog traffic. The fifth most popular link in this blog includes the name of an actress, as well as a word that rhymes with "rude" but starts with the letter n. Trust me, I am SO glad that the D.D. post has now been eclipsed in popularity by the post about P.L.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus