Thursday, March 20, 2008

A question from NULL - Why bother to send the email message at all?

I just received an email for a Dark Reading TechWebCast. The purpose of the email was to encourage me to listen to an InformationWeek webcast featuring Stephen Wellman and Eric Zeman.

However, I am not inclined to listen to the webcast - not because of Wellman or Zeman, but because (1) too much other stuff to do, (2) not a topic that really interests me, and (3) someone at InformationWeek committed a glaring error when he/she approved the message that I received.

See if you can figure out what caught my attention:

Dear NULL:

Many organizations today have clustered mobile security deployments, with different security standards on smartphones than on other mobile devices, like laptops. This fragmentation continues over to wireless networks, where Wi-Fi security initiatives are often executed in isolation from those for wide area cellular networks. In order for mobile security to work, though, it needs to be both strategic and comprehensive, covering all devices and networks under your IT department's supervision....


Yes, I actually received a message addressed to "NULL" - in ALL CAPS, even.

Frankly, they would have been better off plugging my email address in there instead of NULL.

This is why you need to test your email program (or any program) under all possible circumstances.

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: