Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tech is tech - what happened to QuickVerse?

I previously wrote a post (in Empoprise-BI) on how a wide variety of people are moving their domain registrations away from GoDaddy. My post was partly sourced from a Wired post entitled "Christians Bailing on GoDaddy Due to 'Immoral' Advertising." I shared the Wired post on FriendFeed, and a spirited conversation broke out. Several excellent points were brought out in that conversation, but I want to focus on a comment from Joey Gibson:

What's funny is that Bob Parsons was the guy from Parsons Technology that sold QuickVerse, one of the original electronic Bible programs.

I knew that, but had forgotten about it. See my 2005 Ontario Empoblog post, which quoted from a 2005 Bob Parsons post which included the following:

There's one more issue I want to address head on.

As many people know, the first company I started and sold to Intuit was called Parsons Technology. We had a number of product divisions at Parsons Technology. Our product divisions follow:

1. Financial (this included accounting, money management, and tax preparation products).
2. Legal (document preparation for home and small business).
3. Personal productivity (greeting card makers, address books, etc.)
4. Utilities (virus detection and removal, etc.)
5. Church Software (Bible lookup software, Map software, Sermon preparation, Congregational accounting).

It's true. I used to sell Bible software.


He then included a personal statement of belief.

To this day I consider myself a Christian, but I am not a fundamentalist Christian. I am also not a member of the religious right. I am not opposed in anyway to these groups. I am just not part of them. My beliefs today are exactly what they were back when I owned Parsons Technology. I'm still the same guy.

Parsons then talked more about the church software itself.

Our church software division was the brainchild of a man named Craig Rairdin. Craig, on his own, wrote the first QuickVerse program, and did it before joining Parsons Technology. When Craig showed me the program that he had written, I knew instantly that it was well done and would be a hit. Within a few weeks, Craig was our Director of Church Software, and QuickVerse was a Parsons Technology product.

Being a hard worker, Craig soon began hiring additional staff and developing additional Christian products. While Parsons Technology marketed QuickVerse, Craig owned the rights to the product, and after I sold Parsons Technology to Intuit, Craig later sold the rights to QuickVerse to another company.

Today, Craig Rairdin owns his own company. He specializes in Bible lookup and Christian software for hand held computers. His company is called Laridian Electronic Publishing and can be found at http://www.Laridian.com


And QuickVerse has its own QuickVerse.com website, and is apparently now owned by FindEx.com, Inc., which is publicly traded.

I don't believe they ran a Super Bowl ad.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus