Monday, December 15, 2008

Mobile Wikipedia?

(You'll need to pardon me, but for the next few posts mrontemp will impersonate a tech blog. This oughta be fun.)

There are people that go to great lengths to design all sorts of fancy dancy things in their web pages.

And chances are that I'll never see them. While they're designing for the highest common denominator, I'm often visiting their websites with a mobile phone running Windows Mobile version 5 and the equivalent of Internet Explorer 4.

Which is why, when Brandon tweeted

text-based design for the win!

I was appreciative:

As a mobile phone surfer, text is appreciated. I won't see, or wait for, the fancy-dancy animations.

And it's also why, when I saw a Steve Rubel post at Micro Persuasion entitled "Wikipedia Launches Official Mobile Site," I was intrigued.

Although home grown alternatives have been around for awhile now, Wikipedia recently launched its own official mobile site at http://mobile.wikipedia.org/. The site is very basic, which is exactly what mobile users will want it to be.

Well, I just tried it (searching for Linkin Park), and got the message

Our servers are currently experiencing a technical problem. This is probably temporary and should be fixed soon. Please try again in a few minutes.

I will continue to monitor.

At least http://mobile.biblegateway.com/ is working fine.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus