Wednesday, December 17, 2008

FriendFeed - Gateway to the Geeks! (an explanation of my previous posts)

Perhaps I should explain the recent series of posts in the mrontemp blog.

It all started last night, when I ended up watching an old Human League video for the song "Circus of Death." After writing a post in Empoprise-MU, I kept on reading and discovered that the Human League, Heaven 17, and ABC recently banded together for a British tour. This got me thinking about Sheffield - and, being an ignorant American, made me realize that I didn't have the slightest idea where Sheffield actually is.

Because FriendFeed is wonderfully geo-aware, I figured that once I determined the location of Sheffield, I could post an item in FriendFeed with the link to the appropriate Google Map, and the map itself would auto-magically appear in FriendFeed.

Well, I entered the item in FriendFeed - but no map auto-magically appeared.

And I ended up puzzling people with my one word FriendFeed post "Sheffield."

I can honestly say that is one of the most bizarre links I have ever seen posted to FF. Ontario Emperor never fails to deliver. - Andy C


forgot i had clicked this, cleaning up my tabs is a map of sheffield .. how the heck did that get there, i asked, and remembered wendy whatshername, and closed it ... - Gregory Lent

But the key phrase that appeared in the conversation was shared by Mathew Butler:

Gateway to the Peaks!


Well, that sent me on another FriendFeed rampage - check the map and the picture and the video.

Plus there was my next one-word post with link, Wednesday. This one might require some explanation for some of my readers:

Sheffield Wednesday football emerged from 'The Wednesday Cricket Club' based in Sheffield who used to play on Wednesdays, as this was the day when the steel-workers in the team got a half-day and used it to play sports on.

It was decided that a football team was needed to keep up the physical fitness of players during the winter months, when cricket wasn't played. So Sheffield Wednesday was formed on Wednesday 4th September 1867, keeping the theme of Wednesday nights in their name.


Anyway, I personally resolved to work the phrase "Gateway to the Peaks!" into something or another.

But, as you can see from my previous posts, I kinda sorta goofed it up...

P.S. It was purely unintentional that this whole series of blog posts and FriendFeed shares began with the Human League song "Circus of Death" and ended up with a blog post about near-death at a circus. But, as Elvis Costello once said, accidents will happen.

P.P.S. No, this doesn't mean that I'm about to launch into ANOTHER series of posts based on THAT song...

P.P.P.S. Then again....

The whole series: sneaks | beaks | teaks | reeks | freaks | geeks

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus