Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jeff Whitty demonstrates reason

I just ran across this statement made by Jeff Whitty (note: NOT Marc Shaiman), one of the co-creators of "Avenue Q," regarding Whitty's reaction to Scott Eckern's support of Proposition 8:

"There's a great degree of hue and cry over getting Mr. Eckern fired," [Whitty] wrote. "I've searched my soul about this. I'm instinctively not comfortable with the idea of his dismissal, though my activist side still whispers, 'Punish!'

"I fear for what Mr. Eckern's dismissal would say about theater: that there's only room for the pro-gay crowd. In a way, if we only allow people we agree with, if we only allow people who share a broad sympathy for the human condition, then we become one of those dreaded fantasy 'elites.'"

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus