Tuesday, September 30, 2008

With God on our side

The mistake that political Christians often make is to look at the worldly parties and then decide which political party most coincides with Christian belief.

In Ben Witherington's blog, James Howell points out that we're doing things in reverse:

People ask me: are you liberal? or conservative? Sometimes my reply is: it depends on the issue – but my true answer is: neither! The Church drifts into absurd irrelevance if we do nothing more than baptize one or the other of the prevalent options society has dreamed up. We have our own perspective, which at times seems in sync with this or that policy – but then Bam! …we surprise everybody with a wrinkle, a twist.

Needless to say, I don't like the phrase "God is my co-pilot" either, which strikes me as the height of human arrogance and self-worship.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus