Saturday, September 20, 2008

My gospelr workflow and noise reduction

TechCrunch recently wrote about gospelr, but many people are scratching their heads and wondering why gospelr is needed.

So how am I going to use my gospelr account?

To help people filter the noise.

People talk about filtering the noise so much that you want to end up filtering the way that people talk about filtering the noise. But perhaps you saw my recent post on the topic, in which I directed people interested in my Oracle OpenWorld 2008 musings to look for the (non-union) label.

You see, there are two ways to filter content: after the fact, and before the fact. In my previous post, I talked about an after-the-fact filter, in which I write something, then apply the "openworld08" label. (In fact, for some of my mobile posts, the label may be applied hours or days after I write the post.)

gospelr provides me with a "before-the-fact" filter capability. Note that I have configured gospelr so that its "notes" go to Twitter and end up as Twitter "tweets." From there, they then go to FriendFeed and end up as FriendFeed entries. Here's an example of the end of the workflow.

So one can easily read all my gospelr content by going to Friendfeed, or to Twitter.

But what if one is ONLY interested in my gospelr content, and doesn't care what I think about Oracle OpenWorld, Sarah Palin, or bacon? Well, those people can simply tune in to gospelr and tune out all the other noise.

I recently read about a Twitter-based mommyblogger service that offered a similar functionality. Perhaps we'll see more of these filtered services - perhaps you could call them "groups" or "rooms" - springing up here and there to stem the noise flow.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus