Thursday, June 19, 2008

Who is Solomon Poss?

I have spent the morning listening to two songs, "Silver Dagger" and "Silver Dagger." If you read my previous post, you realize that I'm talking about the Joan Baez and Dolly Parton versions of the song, both of which are included in the compilation "Solomon Poss Presents Vanguard Records vs. Sugar Hill Records."

And I am slowly going crazy.

Not because of the music, which is excellent in both cases, but because of the album title.

Who is Solomon Poss?

Is Poss some old early 20th century bluesman from the Mississippi delta?

Is Poss some late 1940s record industry underlining [OOPS, I MEANT "UNDERLING"] who made coffee for the Vanguard brass?

Is Poss some late 1970s man from the hollers who migrated to Durham and tried to push a song called "Grasser's Delight" on a fledgling record label?

Or is Poss some anonymous trumpet player in Lawrence Welk's old band?

Well, I thought I'd search Google to find the answer to this question - and discovered, to my dismay, that I (by virtue of my earlier post) am now one of the world's experts on Solomon Poss.

And I don't even know who or what Solomon Poss is.

However, I have located a possible source of information. The Welk Music Group compilation was produced by [DELETED BY REQUEST], who at the time was...[WELL, LET'S JUST SAY THAT HE DID STUFF....]

...But perhaps he'd welcome an off-the-wall inquiry out of the...um...blue.

[23 JUNE - [DELETED BY REQUEST] ANSWERED MY QUESTION.]

[1 JULY 2008: HONORED REQUEST TO DELETE SELECTED INFORMATION FROM MRONTEMP.]

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus