Thursday, February 28, 2008

Do I need to create a #ffout hashtag?

There have been many electrons spilt over the stability, or lack thereof, of Twitter as more and more people use the service, especially during special events. As these events continued, I coined the hashtag #twittout to describe such occurrences.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to see if bad things happen to another service that I use, FriendFeed.

Why? Because of what Jake Kuramoto calls "the Scoble effect."

I've mentioned Scoble in this blog previously, and I subscribe to the feed from his blog (and, for that matter, to his Google Reader shared items feed). So I caught this post from him on February 24.

I’ve joined FriendFeed

Yet another way to distract me from my goals: FriendFeed.


Then he wrote his next line:

Join me.

But when Scoble joins a service, you don't just join him, he joins you. I can't see how many people are following him, but he has subscribed to over 500 people - and he's only been a FriendFeed member for four days.

I've been a member for months, and only added my 30th subscription this morning.

If I could hire Robert Scoble as a beta tester for my product line, I'd do it in a second. He has continuously demonstrated his ability to stress test a product. Look at his Twitter network numbers.

As I mentioned earlier, Jake Kuramoto has commented on "the Scoble effect." Here's part of what he said:

As an influencer both positively and negatively, Scoble brings a critical mass of people and data to FriendFeed, which will be an excellent test of its utility. His presence will drive features into the product, and he has the same information overload problems that I have. I’m glad he’s made the jump because it will improve the overall product.

(Read of the rest of his post to see what Jake thinks about FriendFeed itself.)

So if all of these people join, will FriendFeed get overloaded? And can FriendFeed handle it? We'll see.

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: