Monday, January 28, 2008

I am not a brat. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not.

Francine Hardaway recently posted an item on continuous partial attention. Because of the high-minded nature of this blog, I won't even mention her story of Bill Clinton talking on the telephone while Monica Lewinsky was...um...nearby. But I'll let Francine tell on herself.

I was laying in bed, petting a dog, watching "Meet the Press," and reading an article from the new Atlantic website.

The article, of course, was on continuous partial attention. And Francine decried the ill effects of this phenomenon:

I suspect we will have to get used to blog posts with typos and near misses at intersections. I post with typos all the time, and I used to be an English professor. If anyone would have told me I would ever hit "publish" without proofreading, because I was watching TV while writing, I would have fiercely denied it. The same way I would have denied that I would ever talk on a telephone in a ladies' room. Or read ANYTHING while driving. But we live in a new world, and I don't think novelists or neuroscience will be able to drag us back to the time when people looked into each others' eyes when they spoke, rather than at their Blackberries.

Naturally, I had to tweet:

@hardaway i was eating lunch while reading your blog post. good. (the post) :)

If that isn't a testimony for the ill effects of CPA, I don't know what is.

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: