Saturday, January 5, 2008

Electronic Mashups Have Existed Since the 1920s

If there's one word that I've overused over the last year, it's the word "mashup." Whether talking about music or about online applications, the idea of taking two things and putting them together into one is fascinating for me.

But there is nothing new under the sun. Obviously, mashups of one time of another have been around for millennia. And even in the electronic age, mashups have been around since...well, since the beginning of electronics.

This afternoon I had to run an errand at 4:00, right in the middle of the Redskins-Seahawks game, which meant that I would be unable to watch the game on my local NBC television station (thanks, hoosgot) during that time. "No problem," I thought. "Some radio station in Los Angeles will carry the Westwood One broadcast of the game." (Maybe not AM 830, but SOMEBODY.)

Guess what? I couldn't find the game on any of the usual AM stations. KLAC 570 was broadcasting a UCLA basketball game, KSPN 710 was broadcasting Game Day, and the other news/talk/sports stations were broadcasting news or talk.

I eventually ended up at KSPN 710...and discovered that the Redskins had not only scored, but were leading the Seahawks 14-13.

Time for another search.

This time I hit the jackpot when I found a faint broadcast of the game on KAVL AM 610 in Lancaster, the FOX Sports affiliate on the other side of the mountains.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only thing that I was picking up on AM 610. Interspersed between the Marv Albert/Bob Trumpy commentary was a broadcast from another radio station - first Muzak, then something that sounded like a commentary on the Bible, the ACLU, and the Scopes trial.

One of the broadcasts eventually began talking about a "paradigm changing." Unfortunately, it was the Scopes station - Seattle was doing its own shifting, taking a commanding lead in the game and eventually winning it.

As it began to get dark, I started to pick up a third station on the frequency - a ranchera station presumably broadcasting from across the Mexican border.

I couldn't really hear the Scopes station after that, but it was amusing to hear Marv Albert talking about a Redskins interception by the Seahawks in the final minutes of the game, as a tuba played in the background.

So, if Babelfish is correct, los Redskins perdieron el juego. Oom pah pah. (Hey, it beats my Timbaland impersonation.)

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: