Thursday, November 29, 2007

Even Stranger in Orange County (yes, another song has invaded my head)

I missed "Stranger in Moscow" when it first came out (not surprising, since it only hit 91 on the U.S. charts), and never even heard the song until I saw an old "Pop Up Video" episode a couple of months ago.

Now, despite all of the strange stuff going on around Michael Jackson, the song floored me when I first heard it.

Eventually I added it to my last.fm playlist, and then added one of the remixes to my playlist also.

Unfortunately, I was listening to my playlist right before a project status meeting at MegaCorp. There are times when songs get stuck in my head, and this was one of those times. Imagine listening to the status of various software projects while that song is going through your head. It - well, it fried my brain:

older projects are complete / newer projects are so neat

now i read the project plan / we will do the things we can

At least I didn't start singing. But perhaps you will.



And if you want to sing along, go here. The main verses, published in 1995, are among the scariest since Michael's buddy Paul McCartney wrote "Waterfalls" - and I'm not talking about the historical inaccuracies:

I was wandering in the rain
Mask of life, feelin' insane
Swift and sudden fall from grace
Sunny days seem far away
Kremlin's shadow belittlin' me
Stalin's tomb won't let me be
On and on and on it came
Wish the rain would just let me be....

Here abandoned in my fame
Armageddon of the brain
KGB was doggin' me
Take my name and just let me be
Then a beggar boy called my name
Happy days will drown the pain


HUH?!?

On and on and on it came
And again, and again, and again...
Take my name and just let me be


And if you like visuals, Clipland reports that the video was directed by Nicholas Brandt.

P.S. As I've been researching and writing this post, I've listened to the YouTube video at least four times. Maybe five. Is this video on mobile YouTube?

[P.P.S. Shared with the MySpace crowd.]

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: