Saturday, October 27, 2007

Externalize Yourself Two

I previously mentioned the David Brooks article called "The Outsourced Brain."

I initially read this article on my Motorola Q, and ran across this quote:

I read in a piece by Clive Thompson in Wired that a third of the people under 30 can’t remember their own phone number. Their smartphones are smart, so they don’t need to be. Today’s young people are forgoing memory before they even have a chance to lose it.

The very thought of this scares me, and I ended up tweeting about it, unintentionally proving my point. This is what I said. This is what Ontario Emperor's Twitter said:

"outsourced brain" article references wired article that says 30% of people don't know own phone #

You've probably realized that this is NOT what the article said. It didn't say that 30% of people can't remember their own phone number. It said that 33% of people under 30 can't remember their phone number.

Because I did not save the information to non-volatile memory, it ended up getting garbled.

[SECOND IN A FOUR-PART SERIES: ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR]

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: