Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Stupid Church Needs Stupid Church People

Pay special attention to verses 9 and 10 in the text below:

Matthew 7:7-12 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.


Despite the claim that even sinful evil people do good things, there are too many instances where too many people give stones. And this causes people to get upset:

I dedicate this post to the person that acted like an ass the other day towards someone I love and care for deeply. You will never know the hurt and pain your careless attitude and insensitivity caused. It's just another strike against ignorant-ass Christians like yourself.

You are a stupid, stupid person. Actually more than stupid, you are a small and shallow person. I found myself making excuses for you, trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it just isn't possible to do so any longer. I have no idea why I defend people in the ministry anymore... nothing should surprise me, but yet people like you continue to amaze me.

I was there and watched you. You were smug, cold, insensitive, and rude. You had an opportunity to build a bridge to my friend, yet all you did was carry a burning torch and set it on fire....

I know, lots of people will say that I shouldn't indict all Christians or church people with this broad brush I am using... but I cannot help it. I think the Christian church of America creates a sub-culture that is so full of veiled intolerance for anyone that doesn't conform to their own image... that I just can't stand it anymore. Your ignorance will be your personal undoing. It certainly is the church's "Achilles Heel".

Your willful and malicious treatment of those who once were "in the fold" but for whatever reason now are not... that is the great "dirty little secret" of the church. What is sad isn't how you reject people like my friend (or me for that matter)... what's really sad is how you percieve the moral high ground you are on to be the path to righteousness.


And yes, this was taken from a blog called "Stupid Church People." (For more information on the blog, and on Steve Chastain, see this early post.) If perception is reality, then this person's perception is the reality. And I guess it takes stupid church people to populate a stupid church. And perhaps they're not stupid people, and church isn't stupid, but if they or it are perceived to be stupid, then people aren't going to come.

So how do you create a smart church? Well, let's look at how Sports Church handles this situation:

The first five minutes will be the high-five huddle for getting to know each other.

Hmm:

Leviticus 19:18 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

18 " 'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.


Works for me.

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: