Friday, June 1, 2007

What did you do over your summer vacation?

Your average university has resident advisors who help the first year students navigate the university environment. One of them introduced himself:

Greetings, Western!

As a new member of the community, I would like to introduce myself. My name is David Christof, and in the Fall I will be a First Year Adviser (FYA) in Peabody Hall (hall director, and academic advisor to the first year students). I am really excited to be part of Western. I've been at Miami for past two years as an FYA in Wells Hall. I am originally from the Czech Republic, went to undergraduate at Northwestern Michigan College, and graduate school at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota.


David has time to write a blog. In this blog, he writes about the Imelda Marcos-like things that he does.

The shoes arrived today!! All 3 pairs. I ordered them last week on the Internet, and they are here. They look good, they smell good....Including the ones I am using right now, I have 4 pairs of running shoes. Whoa-a little extreme. Actually, if I count my trail running shoes, I have 5 pairs!! Yep, we might be overdoing it a little, but isn't it what life is all about?

Before you dismiss Christof as a materialistic jerk, perhaps I should let him share what he'll be doing over his summer vacation.

Around the time of his graduation from St. Cloud State University in Minnesota with a bachelor’s degree in Communication studies in 2003, David Christof began thinking seriously about his life. He came up with this mission: to make a positive difference in someone else’s life....

He found a way to do this:

David Christof will join 19 other citizen athletes representing 12 countries in an around-the-world, non-stop relay run to raise awareness and funds for safe drinking water projects across the globe.

Christof, a first-year adviser, was chosen from more than 300 applicants to participate in the inaugural 2007 Blue Planet Run.

The run begins in New York City on June 1, passes through 16 countries, (15,200 miles) and ends in New York City on Sept. 4. Each athlete will run 10 miles each day (with one day off every five days).

"I believe that it is my responsibility as a human being to help. Water is the fundamental ingredient of survival and I am glad I can help others get it by participating in the Blue Planet Run," said Christof.


Now the shoes make sense. In a little bit I'll go behind the runners and see what else is going on.

davidchristof

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: