Monday, June 25, 2007

I stink at building stuff

This is the fourth in a series of posts about Kobe Bryant's commercial for Living Spaces Furniture (see [1] [2] [3]), in which I finally get around to explaining why I'm writing about the commercial tonight. (I could have put all of this in one post, but I'm trying to get that succinct thing going, you know.)

As I've noted previously, this commercial has long tickled my bizarre bone, between the barbershop quartet and its non-rhyming song, and Kobe Bryant saying "I stink at building stuff." (Again, I encourage you to go here and listen to the commercial if you haven't heard it previously.)

The commercial itself might have faded away as just another credit on the Zambezi Ink and Hi-Fidelity web sites, except for its sudden resurrection during the Petros and Money show on KLAC.

In case you haven't heard, Kobe Bryant has gotten himself in a news lately regarding his dissatisfaction with the Lakers or the Busses or something or another, which has sparked (heh) a ton of trade rumors here in El-Lay.

This has caused Petros and Money to convert their show into a near-permanent "Kobe Watch 2007," in which the Kobe hype is over-hyped (for example, Shaun Livingston has agreed to be a special correspondent, should any Kobe Watch news occur in Birmingham, Alabama).

And Kobe Watch 2007 needs a sponsor. So, every once in a while, Petros and Money launch into an off-key rendition of the "Living Spaces" barbershop song, followed by the first couple of lines of the Grover-Kobe natural conversation. This, naturally, puts me in radio heaven.

But they never get to the "I stink at building stuff" line.

Dang.

kobebryant

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: