Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Gun Club-Kodaira Connection Via Snoop Dogg

I don't even know if my legion of Kodaira visitors/Gun Club fans knew about this, taken from an article written just after Jeffrey Lee Pierce's death:

A student of Japanese, Jeffrey was hoping to start yet another hybrid musical genre at the time of his death by combining rap with his newfound lingual skills--something he was dubbing "rappanese." Truly an obsessive as well as a visionary, I'm sure he would've carried that project out and probably started a new fad, had he lived.

More from furious.com:

Pierce had recently been attempting to get a new line up of the band together as well as hanging out around L.A. with the Dogg Pound, Snoop Doggy Dogg's crew. I think he may have seen rap as a modern equivalent of the blues....Toward the end, he was saying that he wanted to blend the sound of rap music with the Japanese language he had taken immense pains to learn. This was to be a hybrid called 'rappanese.' In fact his last recorded work is a rap version of the Tom Waits track "Pasties & a G-string," which was included on the Waits tribute LP Step Right Up.

Audio here.

Well, I checked Babelfish, and "fo shizzle" is not a Japanese word. But there is a phrase in the Urban Dictionary, fo shinja my ninja, which purportedly translates to "I agree wholeheartedly, my friend of Asian heritage!"

So now we just gotta put "fo shinja my ninja" to a sex beat.

jeffreyleepierce

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: