Thursday, April 26, 2007

Excerpt from Mike Penner's April 26 Los Angeles Times article - Charles Barkley and the Bible

Mike Penner wrote an article in today's Los Angeles Times. Here's a quote from the end of it.

Charles Barkley, no biblical scholar, on TNT's playoff slogan, "40 Games in 40 Nights":

"I love the playoffs, but nobody likes working 40 straight days. Wasn't that how long Moses was on the ark?"


Oh...perhaps you were looking for the other article he wrote today.

But back to Barkley, who exhibited a bit of confusion here:

"They (other tour players) are afraid of the BLACK JESUS."

Barkley was referring to Tiger Woods. It's worth noting that many people think that Tiger is not black, but that Jesus was.

As long as we're talking about Barkley and the Bible, I should mention another Barkley incident that I brought up during Sunday School last week (we're doing the Ray Vander Laan video series if you want to stop by). I referred to Charles Barkley's famous 1993 Nike commercial during the Sunday School class.



In accordance with Section 508, here's a transcript:

I am not a role model.
I am not paid to be a role model.
I am paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court.
Parents should be role models.
Just because I dunk a basketball
doesn't mean I should raise your kids.


From a Christian perspective, there are two ways you can look at the issue.

The first is to remember that we are to worship God alone. We are not to worship Charles Barkley or Ronald Reagan or Paul Crouch or Mother Teresa or whoever.

On the other hand, we are to remember that we are the light to the world, and that our light should not be obscured. Whether or not Charles Barkley likes it or not, people consider him to be a role model.

And no, I don't know what Barkley thinks of transsexuals. (But should I care what he thinks?)

charlesbarkley mikepenner

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: