Thursday, October 18, 2012

Revisiting mrontemp, 3 1/2 years later

On March 17, 2009, I wrote a post entitled Not the last mrontemp post. This, of course, meant that I needed to write a last mrontemp post. I don't know if this is the last one, but it could be.

Back in March 2009, I announced that I would primarily blog under my real name, John Bredehoft, and that I would do fewer things under my pseudonym, Ontario Emperor. That's what I've done; other than my lastfm account, I don't really do much online as Ontario Emperor any more.

The blog empire has remained fairly consistent. As of today, it consists of five blogs: the Empoprise-BI business blog, the Empoprise-IE Inland Empire blog, the Empoprise-MU music blog, the Empoprise-NTN NTN Buzztime blog, and tymshft. (Actually, there's one more, but you have to find it.)

And, of course, the whole debate over real names vs. pseudonyms has continued. Facebook continues to insist on real names, Google+ initially enforced a "real names only" policy, and many other online sites do something similar. This is because the real customers of Google, Facebook and everyone else insist on knowing real names. Remember that you, the users of the services, are not the customers - the advertisers are the customers. Unfortunately, this insistence on real names causes problems, ranging from crackdowns on Middle East democracy advocates to the outing of people who are placed into Facebook groups.

These issues are not going away, but the mrontemp blog has gone away.

Pretty much.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus