Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I guess I'd better learn about Illinois

Now that I've announced my candidacy for the open U.S. Senate seat in Illinois, I guess I'd better learn a little about the state.

Before plunging into this orgy of knowledge-gathering, I should note that Robert Kennedy was not necessarily the carpet-bagger that he appeared to be when he became a U.S. Senator from New York. While Kennedy and his family are connected to Massachusetts, Robert and his family actually lived in Bronxville, New York for a significant amount of time. His father owned a home in Bronxville from 1928 to 1942.

I should also note that I do have some ties to the state. I was born there, and (as I previously mentioned) lived there until 1970. I've visited several times since, passing through by train in 1980 and by plane numerous times, spending time with relatives in 2005 (I even took a trash can picture), and going to suburban Chicago on a business trip earlier this year.

But some of my information about Illinois is outdated, and I'd better catch up. So, in the spirit of Shel Israel, who is sharing all sorts of information for his forthcoming book on Twitter, I will share "the education of Ontario Emperor" in my quest to become a U.S. Senator from Illinois. (Oh, and by the way, I don't want to be sworn in by my real name; I want to be sworn in by my pseudonym. I figure that being an emperor will help me in subcommittee deliberations.)

So look for the "OE Knows Illinois" posts here, until I get tired of them.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus