Saturday, October 11, 2008

Theodore Roosevelt wasn't a real Bull Moose

Francine Hardaway posted observations of a native Alaskan. A few of the highlights:

There are many more men per capita than women. As my sister, when she was single, was fond of saying, 'The odds are good, the goods are odd!'

Since I have lived in the lower 48, I have never seen two grown men in a 'Fist fight.' While, I lived in AK, I witnessed fights at bars, restaurants, youth athletic events, parking lots, my backyard and at a girlfriend's harp recital. Half-way through the opening night of my high-schools rendition of 'Guys and Dolls' there was a fight between drunk parents, school teachers, administrators , etc., that resulted in cancellation of the remaining shows. I still vividly recall my Geometry teacher in handcuffs with a bloodied nose.

When I was 13 years old, my friend I were driving his drunk/passed out dad home from a bar. We were pulled over by a Trooper. Clearly we were not old enough to be driving; neither of us had a license. The Trooper told us to be careful getting home, and let this be a good lesson learned: your dad was right to not drink and drive!

My father, president of the state's largest bank, chairman of Anchorage's Planning and Zoning Commission, successful land developer, member of the Board of Trustees for the Alaska Permanent Fund, donor of your grandson's DNA, was arrested three times. Once for punching a police officer that stopped him for speeding. Once for soliciting an under-cover policewoman for prostitution ,and once for DWI. Compared to his peers or my friends' parents, this was not strange or out of the ordinary.

Of the handful of influential adults from my youth, coaches, teachers, parents , etc. maybe totaling 20, two died in bush plane accidents, one got eaten by a bear, one is in Federal prison, and one froze to death after passing out in his car.


More here.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus