Friday, August 22, 2008

OK, so maybe I'll present at the Oracle OpenWorld Unconference after all

I reserve the right to change my mind.

Although I primarily blog on other topics, I am generally counted among the list of Oracle bloggers. However, my self-perception is that there is a critical difference between me and most, if not all, of the other Oracle bloggers.

They know what they're talking about.

Well, I know what I'm talking about also, but I'm not talking about the ins and outs of database technology. To put it bluntly, there are people much more qualified than I to talk in detail about database technology, especially when you consider the fact that I have never architected, designed, nor managed an Oracle database.

Yet I still find things to write about, either from a high-level technical overview, from a business sense, or from another angle altogether (i.e. my beanbag post).

So it was no surprise that, after reading Jake Kuramoto's August 1 post on the Oracle OpenWorld 2008 Unconference, I was moved to write the following:

I'm at least a year, or possibly ten years, away from developing a compelling presentation for the Oracle OpenWorld Unconference. (In my vertical market I'm fine.) More power for those who can.

But this morning I got to thinking.

As I previously mentioned, I gave a presentation yesterday morning that was targeted toward my vertical market. I plan to attend this same conference next year, so I spent part of the morning trying to think up good ideas for next year's conference. So far, I've only come up with one idea.

However, I realized that this same idea could form the basis for an "unconference" presentation at Oracle OpenWorld this year. I would need to add some introductory material, but this would at least give me the opportunity to start thinking about a topic that I may want to explore in more depth in the future.

So I've added myself to the Oracle OpenWorld 2008 Unconference schedule, Thursday, September 25 at 2:00 pm.

Here's the abstract.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus