Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oracle OpenWorld 2008 Schedule Builder is now Live, New, and Improved

The announcement was made today:

You told us you wanted a better tool for choosing and scheduling your sessions at Oracle OpenWorld. We listened. Now we're happy to announce the launch of a smoother, smarter way to create your entire schedule for the conference.

There are a number of new features, but this was the nicest one:

Improved user interface: Access session information directly from your calendar view. Add or remove sessions with one click. See multiple pop-ups of session information.

First I used the Advanced Search to look for specific things that I wanted (e.g. searching for the word "Kyte"), then I used the Basic Search to fill in the gaps in the remaining time slots. I've already built a preliminary schedule, but I'll probably make some changes between now and September. The only thing that threw me was this:

Check out the action at the Exhibition Halls.

Perhaps this is a personal problem, but I was unable to view any exhibitor information. Did anyone else have any luck with this?

The one session that I didn't schedule was the Oracle ACE Director Birds-of-a-Feather Tips and Techniques Panel. Basically, the entire conversation would probably go over my head, since I'm not an ACE Director, not an ACE, not even a jack of all trades. But for those who do have some technical knowledge, it's a good panel: Lewis Cunningham, Eddie Awad, Mark Rittman, Tim Hall, Hans Forbich, Rich Niemiec, Arup Nanda, and Bradley Brown.

So far, I can't tell if anyone else has set up a schedule yet. I checked Floyd Teter's blog, but he hadn't said anything about the Oracle OpenWorld 2008 schedule builder. (You'll recall that he initially had some problems in 2007, and that when he did correct the problems, he was overwhelmed by the opportunities.)

Incidentally, I'm not going to share my schedule yet (although if you ask I may), for two reasons:

  • It's all in a state of flux right now.

  • I don't know that a lot of non-technical people with the database interest are necessarily going to look to me for guidance.
But be sure to try the new GUI, and the data mining.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus