Monday, May 19, 2008

Head-scratcher of the day

I received an email recently that read, in part, as follows:

We need your help with a very important research study that is scheduled to be finished within the next few days.

As a leading decision maker of your company, you are part of a very powerful reference group. Your opinions on various products you use do matter to and can influence, your co-workers, family, friends, peers and others in a wider sphere.

Specifically, we are conducting a very brief – one (1) minute – survey regarding golf equipment. Your opinions will help to identify best in class golf equipment manufacturers/brands in North America.

At the end of this survey, you may choose to continue participating in future surveys as part of [deleted]'s Professional Forum Panel. As a panel member you will have even more opportunities to influence products, services and issues that may impact your daily life.

All of your individual responses will be kept confidential and will remain anonymous. Only summary data and statistics will be presented in the final results of this study.


I would hope that this survey was also sent to people living in tents in Outer Mongolia, to ensure a diverse and representative sample.

As for me, I'm left-handed, and therefore had no inclination to go out and buy golf clubs that most people wouldn't be able to use if I quit the game. As a result, I have never played golf in my life, and I couldn't name a golf manufacturer even if my life depended on it.

The scary part is that people rely on the data generated by these surveys.

Perhaps if I did consent to take the survey, they'd spend the first few seconds of that single minute narrowing their sample size.

Can you name a single manufacturer of golf equipment?

Can you name three male professional golfers, other than Tiger Woods?

Can you name three female professional golfers, other than Anna Kournikova?


(And no, I'm not that dim. And yes, I did have to look up the spelling. And yes, for the record, "Anna Kournikova" is easier to spell than "Mildred (Babe) Didrikson Zaharias.")

I hope to receive my macrame survey next week.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus