Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Jaw-dropping of the orthodox

I've talked about the Episcopal Church before, usually sourcing my information from Red Stick Rant.

Well, he posted his latest Kate-bash a couple of days ago, but one thing that he wrote in there made my jaw drop. According to Clifford, this is what she said:

Seeing Jesus as the only way to redemption also “puts God in a very small box,” she said.

Perhaps Clifford misquoted her? I can't imagine that the head of a major Christian denomination would deny the main tenet of Christianity. So I checked Sign On San Diego:

Jefferts Schori is not a biblical literalist. Take the six-day story of Creation in Genesis, for example. “It's too good a story to believe it literally,” she said. “It's got too much meaning to be boxed up in that small of an understanding.”

Seeing Jesus as the only way to redemption also “puts God in a very small box,” she said.

“Most Christians believe that Jesus died for the whole world. If you believe that, then to say that some people are beyond redemption would appear to deny that,” she said.

Either way, she adds, “I think it is up to God, not for us, to judge.”


Now I understand that valid arguments can be made that creation took more than six of our days, but I'm not quite sure how you get around this little statement.

John 14:5-7 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."


Perhaps Kate objects to John 14:6 because it's not...um...reasonable.

Post a'brewing. [1] [2] [3]

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus