Sunday, March 9, 2008

No, we didn't just start Daylight Savings Time in the United States

Despite what you may have read from, among other places, this source.

In the wee hours of this morning, most of the United States moved to Daylight Savings Time (DST).

Or this source:

Last night was Daylight Savings Time….

totally missed that….i am in fact a genius.


Or any of a number of sites that claimed that Daylight Savings Time occurred early this morning in the United States.

It didn't.

Alan Biller discusses those (like me) who insist that we're not using Daylight Savings Time, and those (like me) who are all too picky about this fact.

Apparently, the media found it necessary this year to do multiple stories about why we have daylight saving time, and also to point out that there is no "s" at the end of "saving." This is a common mistake that I have always made, as well as everyone I know. It's not something that has ever bothered me, as opposed to the "s" some rogues feel they need to attach to the end of "anyway." But now that I have been informed, and I am beginning to train myself in this arbitrary correctness, I'm sure I will begin too feel annoyance whenever someone refers to it as "daylight savingS time." Or perhaps I'll simply rebel against the oppressive language establishment at make it a point to always us the extra "s."

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: