Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Smoking Cigarettes and Watching Captain Kangaroo

The California primary is over. I've used the #caprimary hashtag ad nauseum, I've voted, and I've looked at the results.

Now what do you do the morning after?

Well, first, let me analyze my pigheaded use of the #caprimary hashtag for my Twitter tweets (and even for some blog posts), even though hardly anybody else did. I'm still happy I did it, since it provided a frame of reference that helped people to know the content of the tweet.

Now let's look at the impact for the state. In past times, and even as late as last year, California didn't have much of a voice in the choice of a presidential candidate. The only reason that presidential candidates would come here was to collect political donations for use in other states. Now we got to vote and have our say in the election. From here on in...the presidential candidates will come here to collect political donations for use in other states. So we've made a little bit of progress, I guess.

Then there was my prediction. Some time in January, I predicted that both the Republican and Democratic races would pretty much be settled by the time that Super Tuesday and the California primary had completed. At best I was half right about this. Time will tell whether John McCain, the current Republican delegate leader, cemented his nomination by neutralizing Mitt Romney last night. A few comments about McCain, Huckabee, and Romney:

  • I happened to hear the opening of Sean Hannity's radio show yesterday afternoon, and he was beside himself regarding the "dirty" move of West Virginia McCain supporters who threw their support to Huckabee, thus denying Romney the West Virginia voters. Frankly, I think it was a brilliant political move by the McCain and Huckabee camps - one that benefited both candidates.

  • The reason that Hannity was beside himself is because he has decided that Mitt Romney is The True Conservative - whatever "conservative" means. So I found it very ironic early yesterday evening when Huckabee was winning several Southern states, while Romney was winning the true red state of...Massachusetts.
But the greatest change in California the morning after is that the radio and television political ads - especially the ads for the Indian gaming propositions - have finally, completely ceased. (Well, the Indians may mount a "thank you for giving us more money than Mitt Romney could ever hope to spend" series of commercials, but that's it.)

Unfortunately, one set of Southern California commercials remains - the unceasing stream of movie commercials targeted toward Oscar voters. I assume it's not the same way in other parts of the country, but here in Hollywoodland just about every other commercial is talking about "a classic moment in cinema" that is "the defining film of the century."

Frankly, I'm ready to take that stupid danged milkshake and ram it down stupid danged Daniel Day-Lewis' stupid danged overacting throat.

And if Dennis Kucinich agrees with me, I'll write in his name on the November ballot.

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: