Thursday, February 21, 2008

After this, I'm waiting for Britney's endorsement

Susan Sarandon, articulate advocate for progressive causes.

Um...maybe not. Extreme Mortman links to Tim Graham, who links to Tavis Smiley.

Tavis: Shifting gears very dramatically here, and quickly, when I saw that you were going to come on the show I said, "Well, I'll get a chance to do a little politics with her and talk about John Edwards."

Sarandon: Oh, oh. Well, how about that the -

Tavis: You were an Edwards supporter.

Sarandon: I was an Edwards supporter, still am an Edwards supporter. I think he's just so authentic and such a fighter and really the only person who's never taken any PAC money or lobby money. And then when he didn't have the means to continue, I love the way everybody in all the columns and on TV was like "Oh, now who's going to take over for John Edwards, the only person who was really working for the poor? The only person who's been doing this." I thought, why couldn't they -

Tavis: Ask that question then?

Sarandon: Why couldn't they give him time? He got, I think, 7 percent of coverage. So it also broke my heart because we're living with a system that you have to have so much money for such a long period of time, and where there's only five people that are deciding who sees what. In other countries they give all the candidates the same amount, and that's it.

Tavis: So what do you do now?

Sarandon: Well, I'm going to back Obama. But I hope - I think that he, as a symbol, has really excited people, and he's definitely confusing to everyone who really hates America for hating Muslims because a name like Obama and a Black man, they're probably going to go "Oh, wait a minute - what?" It's kind of like when you're out on the line for freedom to have an abortion and you're incredibly pregnant. They just can't quite figure it out.

So I think he definitely has convinced people that he stands for change and for hope, and I can't wait to see what he stands for.


I suspect that Obama wishes that Sarandon had stuck with the ambulance chaser.

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: