Monday, January 14, 2008

When will we return to the objectivity of William Randolph Hearst

Perhaps it's the Murrow myth, but there is a sizable number of people who believe that traditional media is completely unbiased, unlike those nasty unprofessional bloggers out there.

Red Stick Rant links to two stories that show something to the contrary.

Here's the second:

But the fascinating thing about this Associated Press article on the case is how they describe the Rathergate scandal—without even mentioning that it was based on fake documents.

"Rather was removed from his “CBS Evening News” post in March 2005, six months after he narrated a report that said Bush disobeyed orders and shirked some of his duties during his National Guard service. The report also said a commander felt pressured to sugarcoat Bush’s record."


Well, because Little Green Footballs murders poor people in their sleep, and because this blog strives to be fair and balanced, let us present the contrary evidence that indicates that the documents in question were, in fact, genuine. I found this evidence, provided by a member of the mainstream media with decades of service.

Dan Rather: "One supporting pillar of the story, albeit an important one, one supporting pillar was brought into question. To this day no one has proven whether it was what it purported to be or not. In terms of [unintelligible "myself"?] it was 'he stuck by the story,' I stuck by the story because I believed in it. 'He stuck with his people.' Listen I've made nearly every mistake in the book. But my attitude when we go into stories, we go into them together, we ride through whatever happened and we come out the other end together. You know, I didn't give up on my people, our people, I didn't and I won't." [Applause]

Marvin Kalb: "Dan, thank you. You said, I believe you just said that you think the story is accurate."

Rather: "The story is accurate."

-- Exchange between Dan Rather and Marvin Kalb at the National Press Club, broadcast by C-SPAN, Sept. 26, 2005


[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: