Friday, October 19, 2007

And here's to you, Mrs. Roberts

Followup.

Old news from kotv.com:

Draft report references 29 distinct photos of Mrs. Roberts and an underage male alone in her sports car. Time stamps on the photos indicate that they were photographed after the citywide 10 p.m. curfew for minors not with their parents. In fact, all 29 photos were taken after midnight. The Draft report cites blog entries from current students confirming these meetings.

Well, I couldn't find any blog entries confirming those meetings, but I did find this interesting post:

Richard opened his Bible and read from Leviticus, explaining that it meant that tattoos were forbidden by the Bible. He followed it up by explaining that it was directly applicable to our lives today, and if we got tattoos, we were in direct violation of Holy Scripture.

So I went back to my dorm, and read the same passage he quoted. To my surprise, the Very Next Verse commands not to shave the beard or cut the hair.

As I am sure you know, male students are not allowed to have long hair, or grow beards. It was quite the quandary for me, as you can imagine. My choices were to believe the President of my University, the one with his doctorate, that this verse in Leviticus is still directly applicable to my life today, or not. If I chose to believe him, then I was in violation of the Holy Scripture by simply obeying the rules of his university.


The verses, in context, are as follows:

Leviticus 19:26-29 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

26 " 'Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it.
" 'Do not practice divination or sorcery.

27 " 'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

29 " 'Do not degrade your daughter by making her a prostitute, or the land will turn to prostitution and be filled with wickedness.


Well, at least they haven't made THAT allegation about the Roberts family yet.

Here's another alumni comment:

Personally, I have experienced several aspects of the allegations first hand. I attended ORU for four years and graduated in the spring of 2005. During my entire time as a student, there was a campus-wide feeling of fear to confront the Roberts about any concerns or disagreements about the ethical or doctrinal nature of their actions or teachings. It was widely understood that when a student or faculty member openly voiced any disagreements with any aspect of the Richards' management or teaching directly to any high-ranking administrator, the person who disagreed was expelled or fired. For that reason, disagreements were either quietly murmured in very private settings among people one could closely trust or they were completely silenced altogether.

[mrontemp business] | [mrontemp politics] | [mrontemp technology] | [mrontemp del.icio.us tags]

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: