Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Hi Fi Wi Fi

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Invasion of the Gabber Robots." This appeared in an InfoWorld blog:

I had brought home several notebooks from the company where I'm the number two IT guy, and I was configuring their encryption settings when I noticed that they were already connected to an IP address. It wasn't one of mine; all my wireless networks require known MAC addresses and passwords before they allow access. It was definitely somebody else's network. And totally unprotected....

I was tempted to send a message to the printer like the Internet classic "All your base are belong to us," or set his (OK, I've decided it's a guy) TiVo to record 40 hours of fashion makeovers, or some other juvenile prank. But with my luck, he would have had a heart attack and I'd be charged with murder.


I should probably also reproduce the caveat at the end of the article.

The events described in this article may or may not have taken place, the network described may or may not exist, the characters depicted are probably fictional. And even if they aren't, any likeness to people living, dead, or otherwise is purely coincidental, accidental, and a damn lie.

And I should also reproduce this comment:

You can't access a Tivo from another Tivo or PC without the MAK (multimedia access key). You cannot make it program anything, nor see what is even on it.

Posted by: GrapeApe at May 1, 2007 07:20 PM


allyourbase

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: