Friday, February 23, 2007

Darrell Ives

When I was making my MySpace post about Nummern, I saw a Depeche Mode announcement that led me to this announcement at a Pink Floyd website.

It is with sadness that we report the passing of Darrell Ives on February 16th 2007, in Hong Kong. Darrell was in the midst of working as Roger Waters' Head of Security, and assistant, on his tour, and had worked with Roger for some years.

A former semi-professional American Footballer, Darrell set up his own security company twenty years ago, and subsequently provided his assistance to such luminaries as golfer Tiger Woods, wrestler Hulk Hogan, The Who, U2, Depeche Mode, legendary boxer Muhammed Ali, and even former presidents George Bush and Bill Clinton.

However, more recently he concentrated his spare time on helping African children through the Edwards Foundation, raising funds through auctions and collections.


I stated the following at the Edwards Foundation blog.

In my case, I *didn't* know Darrell Ives, and only heard about him and his death via a MySpace bulletin from the Depeche Mode MySpace account. Once I started digging into his work with the Edwards Foundation, however, I was very impressed. It just takes one person to inspire a ton of others.

Check my del.icio.us tag link below for more information on Darrell Ives.

darrellives

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: